sentinel n : a person employed to watch for something to happen [syn: lookout, lookout man, sentry, watch, spotter, scout, picket]
- A sentry or guard.
- a unique phrase of characters (a string), used to mark a document for processing by a computer program, also called a keyword. For example, an HTML tag such as '<table>' is a form of sentinel as its a unique phrase that is non-reaccuring in the english language. However the use of '<' and 'table' do occur in english but not in this form, so '<table>' is a relatively good sentinel phrase.
a unique phrase of characters
- Finnish: vahti
- To watch over as a guard.
- He sentineled the north wall.
- To post as guard.
- He sentineled him on the north wall.
- To post a guard for.
- He sentineled the north wall with just one man.
Sentinel may refer to:
- Sentinel, Oklahoma
- Sentinel Island (disambiguation)
- Sentinel Islands, a pair of islands in the Andaman Islands
- Sentinel Range, a mountain range in Antarctica
- Sentinel Secondary School, a school in West Vancouver, British Columbia
- Sentinel Peak (Alberta)
- Sentinel Peak (Antarctica)
- Sentinel Peak (Arizona)
- Sentinel Peak (British Columbia)
- Sentinel (building), an apartment tower in North Shore City, New Zealand
- The Sentinel (Gauhati), published in Gauhati, Assam, India
- The Sentinel (Pennsylvania), published in Carlisle, Pennsylvania
- The Sentinel (Stoke-on-Trent), published in Stoke-on-Trent, England
- The Daily Sentinel (Texas), based in Nacogdoches, Texas
- Los Angeles Sentinel, published in Los Angeles, California
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, published in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- The News-Sentinel, published in Fort Wayne, Indiana
- Orlando Sentinel, published in Orlando, Florida
- St. Louis Sentinel, published in St. Louis, Missouri
- Santa Cruz Sentinel, published in Santa Cruz, California
- Sun-Sentinel, published in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Broward County
- The Holland Sentinel, published in Holland, Michigan
Lorries and locomotives
Media and entertainment
Film and television
- The Sentinel (film), a 1977 film based on the Jeffrey Konvitz novel
- The Sentinel (2006 film), a thriller Directed by Clark Johnson starring Michael Douglas
- The Sentinel (TV series), a US television series that ran from 1996 to 1999
- "The Sentinel" (Stargate SG-1), a TV episode
- Sentinel (Beast Wars), a computer in the TV show Beast Wars
- A type of robot in the Matrix film series
- The Sentinel (Pallas album)
- Sentinel (Nigel Mazlyn Jones album)
- "Sentinel" (song), by Mike Oldfield
- A song by Judas Priest on their album Defenders of the Faith
- A song by Alice Cooper on his album Dragontown
- A song by Hilltop Hoods on their album The Calling
- A song by At The Throne of Judgment on their album " The Arcanum Order"
- Sentinel Sound, a reggae and dancehall sound system from Stuttgart, Germany
- The Sentinel (computer game), a 1986 game created by Geoff Crammond
- The Sentinel (module), an adventure module for Dungeons & Dragons
- A 1984 computer game created by Bryan Brandenburg
- A 2004 computer game published by Detalion
- A vehicle in the Warhammer 40,000 universe
- Two character classes in the Bioware games Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Mass Effect
- A Forerunner Guard robot in the "Halo" Trilogy
- A car in the GTA Series games from GTA 3 onwards
sentinel in German: Sentinel
sentinel in Spanish: Centinela
sentinel in Italian: Sentinel
sentinel in Dutch: Sentinel
sentinel in Japanese: センチネル
sentinel in Polish: Sentinel
sentinel in Portuguese: A Sentinela (desambiguação)